Friday, September 23, 2011

Why is my spark plug smashing in my car and can a shorter spark plug be used>?

I kept getting a misfire cylinder 5 from the code reader, changed plugs and wires and did a tune up. After approx. 15 miles it started running REALLY bad and eventually died. I was able to drive the car home. I pulled the spark plug after getting the code again and it was smashed. What would cause this and what is the cure? Is it possible to put a shorter neck plug in and drive for a while longer before changing motor%26gt;
Why is my spark plug smashing in my car and can a shorter spark plug be used%26gt;?
There is only one thing that can physically smash your spark plug like that when the engine is running. The PISTON!! You don't have the correct spark plug installed. It's reaching to far into the combustion chamber and getting hit by the piston. Check compression on the engine, make sure you didn't crack a hole into any pistons.