Friday, September 23, 2011

I broke one of my spark plug wires - can I still drive?

So while changing my spark plugs, I broke the rules and pulled the plug wire by the wire and not by the boot, and it broke. When it came off, there was a silver metal part of the wire still attached to the spark plug. I pulled that part off and shoved it back into the boot. What if I reattach that wire and drive like that? Will my truck work fine on 5 cylinders? Will there be some kind of electrical misfire and I'll explode? I already know the answer to my dilemma - go buy some new spark plug wires - but I would like to know the answers to these questions if anyone out there knows them. Thanks a ton. PS. I have a '94 Ford Ranger, in case you want to know.
I broke one of my spark plug wires - can I still drive?
The truck will still run,not exploding or fire or anything,will lost much power,hesitation when accelerating,but very harmful to your catalytic converter,when engine misfired from no spark,the raw fuel will damage the very expensive component of the emission system.
I broke one of my spark plug wires - can I still drive?
You'll probably be O.K. to drive it to the store to buy new wires, but you'll have reduced performance due to that one cylinder not producing power, and your truck will be a hair noisier. Don't drive any farther than you have to though; and if possible find another way to the store. But in a pinch... you can get your truck around without too much worry.
NO
yes it will still drive with 5 cylinders. it will not drive properly and it may cause other parts to malfunction ( check engine light, o2 sensor, transmission sensors and so on. )
Leave the wire unplugged, it will be ok, it will only lose performance and gas milage, just use it to go to the store...
Broken spark plug wires usually leads to knocky engines if it starts at all. If there is loose connection, or if the wire is partially broken, you might be able to drive the car on 5 cylinders, but electrical leakage may not allow you to rev up your engine. Dont worry about any explosions, but there might be internal misfires, which I believe is not too good for the engine. Try to open the boot from the wire and attatch a the metal parts together for a temopary solution till you get a new one.
you can drive it but you will have a bad miss until you fix that plug wire, and no the truck won't explode or do anything crazy like that.
Actually, if you cut the wire a bit shorter, and then cut the outer part back to expose about a half inch of the core, you can simply recrimp the silver part back onto the wire and drive on. I have done this many times, and never had a problem.

The reason for cutting the wire shorter is in case you have separated the core near the end where you were pulling. A few inches should do.