Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Changing Spark Plugs on a 2003 Hyundai Elantra?

So the old Hundy has right at 90,000 miles and I wanted to give her some new life again, but unfortunately I have never changed the spark plugs on this particular type of vehicle. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a good online manual or perhaps a few tips on what to look for and of course what not to do? I'm pretty good at fixing things, but unfortunately I haven't been exposed to a lot of automobile repair. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!
Changing Spark Plugs on a 2003 Hyundai Elantra?
Directly from link below:



Q: How do I install spark plugs correctly?



A: It is essential to tighten a spark plug to the specified turning angle or torque setting. First, screw in the plug finger tight until the gasket meets the cylinder head. Then seat the plug/gasket with a torque or turning angle wrench as specified in the chart in this link: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/sp鈥?/a>
Changing Spark Plugs on a 2003 Hyundai Elantra?
My Bentley fouled a spark plug, so I bought a new one.



I got it in blue this time...



What's wrong with my grammar?
just pull the plug wires off the the plugs, get a spark plug wrench and untighten them and pull them out. they make an attachment to the socket wrench that has rubber inside of it to grab the spark plug and pull it out. buy some new plugs. I think you can buy them pre-gapped. put the new plugs in and tighten with the wrench. DON'T overtighten them. some people use a torque wrench, I just go by feel. It's a no brainer.
this is a simple task for most people. Just buy the correct spark plugs for your vehicle. The gap should be preadjusted at the time of purchase right out of the box. Just replace 1 spark plug at a time so you dont confuse the firing order of the engine. You will need a spark plug socket, an extension rod and a good wratchet wrench 3/8 drive should be fine. Make sure you do not cross thread the plugs when installing them into the engine, and make sure that the engine is cold. this should do it for you, if you need more help, feel free to e-mail me.

good luck
take it to a dealership and let them do it. it should have been done at 30,000