Friday, September 23, 2011

How do i change the spark plug wires on a pontiac sunfire?

i drive a 2.2 L 1997 pontiac sunfire. how do i cahnge the spark plug wires. i know where they start and where they end i just can't get to the coils. how can i cahnge them?
How do i change the spark plug wires on a pontiac sunfire?
Since the coils are located on the backside of the engine, they're very difficult to reach. (but obviously, you already know that) Make sure the engine is cool before you start so you won't get burned. I have a 1997 Cavalier with the 2.2L which is essentially the same car. When I changed my plug wires, I had to reach down between where the power steering pump and the A/C receiver/dryer is. There's very little room and I pretty much had to do everything by feel because you can't see down where you're sticking your arm. Change each individual plug wire one at a time so you won't accidently get them hooked up wrong or crossed. Take your time and be patient...it won't be easy. I'm a big guy and my forearms are big so it was difficult for me to get my arm into that small space. It'll be easier for someone with thinner forearms. From what I can tell, that's the ONLY access to the coil. You can't even reach it from the underside.

Good luck!
How do i change the spark plug wires on a pontiac sunfire?
Unless they're damaged, they should not need to be changed.
with the engine off