Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Is the wrench spark-plug socket different from other wrench sockets heads?

Does spark-plug socket for socket wrench looks different from the one used in changing oil in a car?



I have a set of socket wrench with a bunch of sockets and I need to change the spark plug on my lawn mower. none of my sockets fit on it.. is there a special socket with a different front on it??
Is the wrench spark-plug socket different from other wrench sockets heads?
a %26quot;sparkplug%26quot; socket has a rubber sleeve insert in it to help avoid cracking the porcelin insulator of the plug. most times if careful you can use a regular deep 6 pt socket size 5/8, 3/4, 13/16 depending on plug
Is the wrench spark-plug socket different from other wrench sockets heads?
look for a 6 point deep well (longer) socket.
Usually it's a deep socket with some rubber in it to protect the porcelain. Other than that, it's just a regular socket.
A spark plug removal and replacement socket has to be elongated to be able to fit down over the upper insulated spark plug wire connection. The socket size for fitting over the metal hex shoulder of the plug nearest to the engine head is graduated in millimeters, and the fit between the spark plug metal hex shoulder and the socket of the removal wrench tool should match perfectly.
The answers are good! Also, the spark plug socket may have a place on top whereby you can use a wrench, instead of a ratchet, because many places on the car have no clearance space for a proper removal ratchet wrench!
HHmmm......You know, I've changed my spark plugs on my dad's cars since I was 12 and mine own cars since I was 16 and I've never even thought of why there was a place to put a wrench on the spark plug sockets. I've always used swivel extensions to get to the hard to reach spark plugs. Learn something new every day. But everyone is right. The rubber bushing inside of a %26quot;spark plug socket%26quot; just helps to hold the spark plug in the socket while you start it with your fingers, then use the socket to continue screwing it into the engine block.