Friday, September 23, 2011

Whats the secret in changing the middle spark plug (drivers side) on a chevy blazer 2001?

I changed all the other plugs but cannot get the socket and rachet onto that plug. why did they put the steering rack bar right in the way. any suggestings.............
Whats the secret in changing the middle spark plug (drivers side) on a chevy blazer 2001?
Remove the bolt at either end and remove the steering bar itself to gain access. Make sure your wheel is lined up right when you reassemble it. I had to do this to install headers on mine, and it was a good time to get at that plug, too.
Whats the secret in changing the middle spark plug (drivers side) on a chevy blazer 2001?
I use a flexable two u joint spark plug scoket and a two foot long extension
I own a shop, and %26quot;yes%26quot; its like they enjoy making you drive yourself crazy trying to get that one plug! If the idiots that designs these vehicles had to work on them, they would be made a lot different, wouldn't they?

Try removing the wheel, and going through the fender well with a long extension. If you have to, you can put a jack under the motor, and raise it enough to get the rig to work. The motor will raise a few inches without doing any damage because the motor mounts will move that much. Have you ever seen the engine move when you mash the accelerator? It will move up on the drivers side due to the torque of the engine. I'm sorry to report; I have had some that we had to take the bolts out of the mount in order to get the plug out. Go figure? If you look at your socket, it should have a place on it at the end for a wrench. This is another option if you can get a wrench on it from under the vehicle. A wobble socket will get it sometimes too. To get the new plug in, try a piece of hose plugged onto the plug to turn it with. Sure makes it a little easier to get it started when putting the new one in. I always use silicone lube on the boots to make them easy to snap on after changing the plug.

Did I mention I own one of these vehicles, and have changed the plugs a couple of times? A long extension is a %26quot;must%26quot; and you may have to use a wobble on the socket. I don't know why someone who doesn't have one of these vehicles would know something I don't about changing them. The motor mounts settle, and the engines will sit at different heights (depending on how much the mounts have settled) from one vehicle to the other, and when a 1/4%26quot; makes the difference, jacking the engine up to gain that much is what it takes. The long extension that will flex/wobble is a must, but you can go around the steering shaft. You %26quot;MUST%26quot; go through the fender well. Just raise the flap off the A frame, and you can see how its done.

Glad to help out, Good Luck!!!
You can get a spark plug socket that has a hex head on the end where the ratchet goes in. Just put the socket on the spark plug then use a wrench to the loosen the plug. I've seen these sockets all my life but never thought of it's use until I finished changing the plugs on my Blazer. Good luck!
good reason not to buy a chevy I say.
I just recently changed mine on my 4.3l which i am assuming you have. I just used a pair of pliers to lossen the spark plug then just unscrew with hands, do the same on putting it in.