Thursday, September 15, 2011

How tight do I screw in the spark plug in my 99 Honda Civic, I dont have a torque socket thing...?

How do I know when to stop tightening the new spark plugs in? I know if I over tighten the plug it could be bad for the motor, but i also dont want to under tighten the plug either. Do i just tighten until its pretty snug, but not to the point where its hard to untighten it?



This is the first time ive ever changed spark plugs so please give me advice!!!
How tight do I screw in the spark plug in my 99 Honda Civic, I dont have a torque socket thing...?
i usually hand tighten them without to much force applied, it is sufficient for everyday applications. be careful not to overtighten them as you can strip the threads in the cylinder head out. i also use a little anti-sieze on the threads of each spark plug
How tight do I screw in the spark plug in my 99 Honda Civic, I dont have a torque socket thing...?
Civic spec is 13 FT -LB of torque.



See this article:



http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinfo/sp鈥?/a>



I usually use a torque wrench. It is very important. If you don't have a torque wrench. For now you can make an approximation: So a 13 LB -FT means that at 1 foot long wrench, you apply 13 pound of turning force.



Sears has torque wrench pretty cheap. If you plan to do some more car repair, I think it would be good investment. I got the cheap one. They don't require calibration.



Good Luck...



===



P.S. You can go to Autozone.com to check. If your year model don't show up, try a different model or different year.
Yes, just tighten them until they are snug.