Thursday, October 6, 2011

Is there a tool that makes removing spark plug boots easier?

I haven't changed my spark plugs in a while. Three of them are behind the engine in an akward position and the boots wouldn't come out. I didn't want to pull too hard because I didn't want to rip the wire. I have a 1999 Monte Carlo.
Is there a tool that makes removing spark plug boots easier?
Yes. It's called a spark plug boot remover. Several types are available. Most of them resemble a needle nose plier with the ends bent down in an %26quot;L%26quot; shape. The ends are also coated with rubber to prevent damage to the boot.



Any parts store should carry them.



When putting the boot back on, be sure to coat the inside with some %26quot;di-electric%26quot; grease. This prevents the boot from freezing onto the plug and making it easier to remove the next time. It also increases the contact between plug and connector.
Is there a tool that makes removing spark plug boots easier?
There is a plug boot tool. Head over to AutoZone or Sears or stop a MAC or SnapOn truck and ask for a spark plug wire tool (I think) the salesperson will know what you want when you describe your job.
Yes, there is a tool similar to a fork that goes around the cable underneath the boot. Any good parts store will have them. Some will loan you one.
My guys looked at me and laughed...Great question. I didn't even know they use them. I am old I guess, I am getting a pair for home.....Oh that's right my guys do my car work for me.....
Yes there is. There are 2 types that I know of.

1. the type that pushes over the boot, looks like a screwdriver

2. the type that resembles a set of pliers, with rubber covers over the jaws.

Either or both types are available at Advance Auto Parts or at J.C. Whitney.
Yes usually available in any auto parts store. It is called a boot puller. Most are less than $10.00, also remember to add lubricant inside the boot when putting back on to make future removal easier.
  • break up with someone you live with
  • server
  •