Thursday, October 6, 2011

Changing spark plugs for F-150?

I have a 4.6 liter V8 2001 F-150 and I am having the hardest time in the world changing the spark plugs.



At the present time, I have spent in the neighborhood of 3-4 hours and I have only been able to remove one spark plug, and I can't get the replacement one to get in.



I have enlisted the help of a friend, (whose knowledge of vehicle maintenence surpasses my own,..... but not by much)



I will just call his name Tom, because his name is Tom.



And together that is the sum total of our accomplishments.



I have a Haynes Manual, I have researched the procedure online, and everyone says it's a pain in the neck to do.



Any DETAILED help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.



P.S, Tom Betterton sucks.



-Thank you.





(This is a serious question, I am at the point of murdering someone, so far I have narrowed the list to a select few, I am very sure they would appreciate any help that you can give me)
Changing spark plugs for F-150?
OK, first of all, let me get this out of the way.



(tee-hee-hee)



Alright, now let's see if we can't help you get this finished up.



I think the main thing that might help, that you didn't mention, is if you're not using a universal joint in with the appropriate extensions would make it quite a bit more difficult. (also, are you familiar with what they call a %26quot;wobble drive%26quot; extension?) Check out this article here for a good recommendation on the best setup. Note that he says it shouldn't be necessary to remove the fuel rails, and I concur.



http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/1鈥?/a>



Close-up of a %26quot;wobble drive%26quot; extension, available in various lengths. Suggested for the %26quot;outter%26quot; extension in your case.

http://www.tooled-up.com/ShowImage.aspx?鈥?/a>



As far as putting the new plugs in, you might want to try a variation on a little tool I made for myself many years ago. In my case, I took an old screwdriver, and sawed the flat tip off. Then I clamped an old-fashioned straight spark plug boot on the end. Works great for getting plugs started without cross-threading. (those hoses are almost never straight, and too wobbly) In your case, you might want to try this with say a 1/4 inch drive extension, then a u-joint, and another extension.



The u-joint (or a wobble drive) I think, is really the key here, given the position of the fuel rails. Hope that's all it is, and if so, try not to kick yourself too hard. ;-)
Changing spark plugs for F-150?
It is a pain in the butt. You need to remove the fuel rails and that will make it a little easier.
I'm not good with cars but i've successfully changed spark plugs and wires in a mustang and focus.....I do have a craftman ratchet set that has an extension for my ratchet so that you can get it way down there and it also has a special thing I dont know the term but its what you put your plug in and then stick it down in there and tighten.......I do know enough that you don't want to force it because if you mess up the threads on your car you are in trouble also look up online the size you should use and make sure you have the right size! the guys at the store get it wrong sometimes! if you are changing your wires make sure you match your plug to the right other part otherwise your car will misfire........its really simple and if I were you I'd check your tools and sparkplug size!
try fishing it in blind with your hand and then take the ratchet end off and stick it on over top once you've got it in a couple turns and then turn it as far as you can that way and then put the ratchet on.. if it's too close put and extender on.. it's a modern truck.. any modern is a pain in the butt to do anything with.. You might have to take some things off to get to it too.
Ok I suppose that you have the Haynes 36059 Repair manual which covers the 97 - 03 F-150. Now according to the book and a few people's answers above that all you need is a 3/8 ratchet and about 8%26quot; extension with the proper spark plug socket. Now did you verify that the new plugs are of the correct thread type? If you are using the same type of plugs that originally came in the engine then great, if not find exactly what came in the engine and use that type only. Next did you try the hose over the spark plug trick? Use a straight piece of hose that slips over the part of the plug that the spark plug boot goes on, you want it just to slip on to the plug so that if you cross thread the threads that the hose will allow the spark plug to stop well before any damage occurs. And last do not get mad to the point of wanting to kill someone, (even if you would like to kill the engineers of this engine which in court you might be justified to do, LOL) just walk away take a break then retry the plug. I have had to do some other plugs and then come back to the problem one. Other wise you just need patients with this procedure. Also do use the anti-seize to the new plugs this will help remove them in the future. Hope this helps and encourages you.