Thursday, October 6, 2011

If I change out my spark plug wires do I have to put in new plugs?

Someone told me that if I change out my spark plug wires I would HAVE to put in new spark plugs too. Do I? Would it damage the old spark plugs themselves to have new wires??
If I change out my spark plug wires do I have to put in new plugs?
removing and replacing the wires is time consuming and if the wires have deteriorated the you will save time and money by doing both at the same time..it would not damage the old plugs but you might not notice much improvement in the way the engine runs with old plugs...It would be nice to know how many miles, months your old wire and plugs have been used.

Very recent model cars do not usually require replacement until about 100,000.... older cars with older style electrical need more frequent replacement. In older model cars plugs are usually good for about 15,000 miles or so and wires for 30,000 miles but a lot depends upon your driving and many other things...like correct grade of good gas and frequent oil changes if you car has a control module that could affect performance if it has a %26quot;breaker%26quot; ignition then that should be serviced when you replace the plugs.
If I change out my spark plug wires do I have to put in new plugs?
You don't have to change the spark plugs with the wires, but it makes more sense to swap them out together. New plugs and new wires will help your car run more efficiently.



But you don't have to change them at the same time.
Hi, Actually if your plugs are good then you don't have to change them. If the wire is worn out the reason for the wire to be worn out could be your Spark plug (in some cases). so get your plugs checked and then change it accordingly.
nothing of the kind. U can keep the old plugs in the car. Nothing damaging can happen. new plugs dont always be necessary.
You don't have to but why wouldn't you?