Friday, June 3, 2011

Would changing spark plugs help with my car?

When I come to a stop my vehicle idles from 600-800 RPM. The tach goes up and down but when I%26#039;m driving it%26#039;s constant. The spark plugs haven%26#039;t been changed the last 70k miles. thanks!|||how old is your car and what is the mileage? also what type of car are we talking about?|||It ain%26#039;t gonna hurt! But you may find that your idle still %26quot;hunts%26quot; up %26amp; down. You never mentioned what kind of car you have- but check your fuel filter.|||yes it would|||if it is an fuel injected car it needs the injecters and stuff cleaned that would help. the spark plugs would help too they want hurt.|||Might not help, but certainly won%26#039;t hurt anything. Really need more info to answer accurately.|||This problem sounds like a throttle position sensor problem.|||YES!!! When i bought my 2005 Dodge Neon, the dealer told me i wouldn%26#039;t need to change my plugs for 100,000 miles. Well, he lied. After recently thumbing thru my owners manual, i got to the service section and it recommended replacing the plugs at 30,000 miles,.....Ouch!! My car now has 68,000 miles on it. I replaced them last week with Bosch Platinum plugs. Bosch advertises %26quot;up to 20% increase in performance and fuel mileage.%26quot; I haven%26#039;t noticed much fuel mpg increase, but the acceloration is definitly much quicker, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. I also changed the air filter and the car gets up to 75mph quick. I turned my pussycat into a little tiger with just a few good quality plugs. Good Luck!!|||It certainly won%26#039;t hurt. Give it a try to see if it fixes the erratic idle.