Friday, June 3, 2011

Changing Spark Plugs in a Toyota Matrix?

I do most work on my 2004 Toyota Matrix XR (oil, air filter, coolant, tire rotation, transmission fluid, etc.) and will need to change my spark plugs soon. Is there anything special I need to know about changing the plugs in a Matrix? Most cars I%26#039;ve worked on have been pretty straightforward, but I want to be sure before I do anything.|||nothing special just make sure engine is cold and don%26#039;t over tighten and make sure to use a good japan plug like denso or ngk


iridium tip|||I would imagine that the motor is pretty straight forward. And the sparkplugs pull out just like many of the other Toyota%26#039;s|||I always change them when the engine is cold.Aluminum heads strip real easy. I would use Autolite Plati. plugs. the other plugs like bosch or Iridium plugs use a fine wire for the electrode.The spark is to small. I had gotten worse gas mileage with them. Autolites I run them 90,000 before changing.|||Check with the manufacturer on the plugs. My Honda took NGK plugs, as most Toyotas do as well. I would look into it, because it does have an affect on how the car performas.





Spark plugs are fairly straight forward, if you hav a torque wrench it makes it easier. But you can follow one rule, tighten with the rachet until it stops, then give it one more quarter turn and your good. Also get yourself a Gapping tool. Looks like a coin with different sizes on each side. Under the hood where the engine sticker is, it will tell you the gap for the plugs. Plugs do not come pre-gapped. Also get a small packet of Anti-seize to put on the threads, it helps go in smoother and come out easier.|||Straight forward replacement. Make sure you use a light coating of anti seize on the threads. Also use Denso SK16R11 for the standard car if you have the XRS model use SK20R11.|||I%26#039;d make sure you have a long extension on your ratchet for reaching down inside DOHC engines. I would recommend using a torque wrench. Spark plugs will be changed frequently over the life of the vehicle, and you don%26#039;t want to be messing up the threads in your cylinder head (torque should be about 20 ft lbs). Nearly all Japanese cars use NGK or Denso sparkplugs. NGK does also sell pre-gapped plugs as well. A proper feeler gauge is more accurate that those disk style ones if you%26#039;re doing your own gapping. Get some dielectric gel and put some on the inside of the sparkplug boot to keep it from sticking to the plug, and to reduce the chance of corrosion on the terminals. When you take your old plugs out, have a look at the color too. Here%26#039;s a chart of different sparkplug conditions:


http://opc.mr2oc.com/online_parts_catalo鈥?/a>